Commerce stream is still a very popular choice among Indian students who have passed 10th standard. Briefly, it seemed like Science stream and its popularity had tarnished the image of Commerce stream. It made it look like this stream was reserved for students who were not too bright. But it has proved everyone wrong and is still being chosen by bright students! In this article, you will be reading details about commerce stream schooling (11th and 12th) such as boards available in India, subjects to study, professional courses available after completing 12th.
Commerce stream opens doors that lead to professional courses, which acts like foundations! For example, consider B.Com. (Bachelor of Commerce) course. This 3 years long undergraduate Degree program is like a foundation course. After completing it, one may choose from a wide variety of PG professional courses and specialise in many other fields/areas!
This diversity that commerce stream offers is one of the main factors that still attracts many 10th standard students. If you are good with numbers, good at analysing and dealing with large chunks of data, have a taste in finance and economics, commerce stream will suit you!
PROFESSIONAL COMMERCE COURSES AFTER 12TH
After passing 12th standard board examination, Commerce stream students may go for traditional Commerce (and chosen subjects) based courses as well as other new courses. Some major fields available in front of Commerce stream students are- Traditional Commerce courses, Law Education, Management courses, Diploma courses, Architecture, Social Works courses, Education courses and Technical courses.
Let us start with traditional courses first.
- LIST OF COURSES AFTER 12TH COMMERCE
BACHELOR’S COURSE IN ECONOMICS
COMPANY SECRETARYSHIP COURSE
After 12th Commerce, students are eligible to go for Law Education in the Integrated course format. Integrated Law course lasts 5 years. Some popular Integrated Law courses for Commerce stream student are-
- B.Com. + LL.B.
- BBA + LL.B.
- BA + LL.B.
- BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)
- BMS (Bachelor of Management Studies)
- Integrated BBA + MBA program (5 years duration)
- BHM (Bachelor of Hotel Management)
- Retail Management (Diploma)
TECHNICAL COMMERCE COURSES
Earlier, most technical courses were out of bounds for Commerce stream students, But these days, some Technical courses have been made available for Commerce stream students also. Two such top courses are (mathematics subject is required)-
- B Architecture
- Bachelor of Interior Designing
- Bachelor of Design (Accessory)
- Bachelor of Design (Leather)
- Bachelor of Textile Design
- Bachelor of Product Design
- Furniture and Interior Design course
PHYSICAL EDUCATION COURSES
- Bachelor of Physical Education
- Diploma in Yoga Education
- Bachelor of Fashion Design and Technology
- Bachelor of Fashion Communication
OTHER BACHELOR’S DEGREE AND DIPLOMA COURSES IN COMMERCE STREAM (EVEN FROM OTHER STREAMS)
- B Social Work
- Mass Communication and Journalism
- Animation and Multimedia
- Performing Arts
- Language Courses (Foreign Languages are promising)
- Diploma in Retail Management
- Diploma in Education Technology
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Air Hostess/Cabin Crew training course
- Diploma in Event Management
- Diploma in Film making and Video Editing
- B.El.Ed. (Bachelor of Elementary Education, 4 years long course)
- Diploma in Elementary Education
- B.P.Ed. (Bachelor of Physical Education)
- Primary Teachers Training course (can follow it up B.Ed.)
Commerce stream students may pursue UG (Undergraduate) as well as PG (Postgraduate) courses and have access to diverse job opportunities (depending upon the professional course). Some of the well known job profiles are- Management professional, Lawyer, Accountant, Banker, Teacher, Businessman,Chartered Accountant, Economist, Company Secretary, Investment Banker, Government employee, Civil Servant (IAS , IPS , IFS etc), Defence personnel etc.